Friday, July 8, 2011

New Projects and Motivation!

I have been so happy this week! Of course, I'm generally content, but what is the cause for this week's elation? A wonderful number... Just a few days ago I found out my International Baccalaureate (IB) scores and was pleased to see I received a '7' in IB HL Art, which is the highest score possible for an IB class, as well as one of the hardest scores to get for IB HL Art. It's considered one of the hardest classes for IB, despite it being an art class, which shamefully many often associate as an "easy A". Anyway, it has definitely made me gain confidence in my abilities as an artist and also made me question what I'm really good at. I still think about how much fun it would be to pursue art as a career and live out the whole "starving artist" cliche! However, I also like envisioning myself as an engineer, which is what I'm going to study in college. I guess I have to remember that my IB score was only decided by a logistical score rubric and that a score shouldn't make or break my opinion about my future in art, considering I never liked the idea about grading art before anyway.

Okay, I'm done talking IB. I spent the last four years of my life thinking about school! Though, I won't lie - I'm definitely more motivated to work in the studio now. I've started working on a few new projects too, like a final reconstruction of my sister's antique dollhouse, which I restored a few years ago before she decided she was too old for it. Hence has begun a recycled dream house of mine, using bottle caps and other materials. Pictures will be up soon - I want to do a before and after shot when it's finished.

I also finished my vaguely macabre/carnival piece, which I've been working on for a few weeks. I've started brainstorming my artwork before I start it, just like I did in IB Art, and I find I really like the results. This piece is slightly darker than the work I've been doing for the last few years (and less politically charged since I'm not limited to a theme anymore), but it's a more mature version of what I used to make when I was younger. I actually started working on it when I thought I redecorating my room in a Victorian gothic style. I can officially say my room is a kitschy pink retro style, so this definitely doesn't fit anymore!

Today is also yard sale day, and I've been in charge of cashier since this morning. The hype of our sale is officially over and I have nothing but time to catch up on my summer reading.

Goodbye for now!
J'reyesha

No comments:

Post a Comment