Sunday, June 9, 2013

IB Art Memories

Took the time to go through my old IB Journals from high school and found my old art to be pretty motivating. I'm always wary of being too inspired by artists and copying their styles, but getting inspired by my old art is something without qualms! I'm going to start sketching again and try to kick out some new pieces this summer.

Here are a few of my favorite media experiments from when I was a junior/senior in high school. Hard to believe it's been almost 3 years since I made these.

Watercolor Explorations


I remember getting told this subject matter was "too cutesy." Picky grading with IB

Crayola Marker
(I don't care about what fancy pens I should have used, I still love Crayola markers)

These two were a running theme in my IB art notebook. Political symbolism figures, because people let politics define them. These two will be main characters in a comic I have yet to make someday. 

From when I studied the Chicano Art Movement and Xavier Viramontes' work. I think was one of the media experiments that got sent to the international grading for IB. 

Collage Work
I was too lazy to make time consuming media experiments, so collages were a preferred medium throughout high school



Gel transfer collages are a lot of fun

Pop art with a tabasco twist

Sketches and Such

I went through (perhaps still going through) a manga phase and really tried to develop a style with it. This particular sketch was inspired by the manga, Bizenghast, that I really loved at the time. 

Required self portraits. Doesn't look a lot like me anymore, but the picture I based it on doesn't really look me anymore either. 

From my first box of prismacolor pencils on the way to Canada. 



No comments:

Post a Comment