Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Bottle Cap Art for Thought

I'm not sure if anyone else collects bottle caps like my family does, but... we have about 8 mason jars filled with the various milk, juice, creamer, and soda caps. They've been collected over several years, so it's not too surprising. However, it's a very shocking realization of how much we actually consume. As a family of four, we do consume a lot of food. Recycling caps, bottles, bread tabs, etc. we're usually able to confront this fact anytime we go in the studio to make art. I like to use them to make art, usually with the kids I teach in after school classes. They really do make the best mosaic pieces, because the range of colors the caps come in are simply fabulous. Bright oranges, greens, blues, and sometimes gold and silver! They're also great for making collaged pendants, pins, and even earrings. In addition to what I like to use them for, I found these great lighting fixtures made using bottle caps!

No comments:

Post a Comment