Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Pike Street Market

We took a trip to Seattle for the Fourth of July, where I enjoyed the Pike Street Market best of all. It definitely put our city's Saturday Market to shame, with all of its artists, great homegrown food, flying fish, and even a gum wall! Not to mention, it happens everyday rather than just weekends. Makes me feel like our artists are only part time, while Seattle's keep the art going all year long! Though, Portland artists definitely use a lot more recycled materials, so I can really appreciate that. :)

I had a great time, and found so much inspiration with all of the different artist's styles and techniques. I even bought an art piece from a friendly fellow stencil artist, Graff Roots. As a stencil artist myself, I really admire a great stenciler when I see one, because stencils can be very time consuming. He definitely inspired me to want to improve my stencils and work with more detail, because the outcome was very impressive. Working primarily with television and pop culture movie icons, his work pulls the best and most iconic images out of recognizable scenes. Check out the Graff Roots etsy store: http://www.etsy.com/shop/graffroots

After Pike Street Market, we did some thrift store and antiquing around Seattle. I found that Seattle is probably one of the best places to buy records! I bought so many classic 50's bandstand, 60's rock, and classic records at a great price. After our Seattle trip I came home wanting to listen to my records and work on art! Such a great combination! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment