Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Summer Afternoons

I have less than 2 weeks before I start school. I can't believe summer went by this fast! I'm going to try and keep working on my art through the school year, because I've realized what a stress reliever art really is.

Today mom and I spent the entire afternoon working together in the studio. We came up with a great way to display our jewelry for Last Thursdays in Alberta by recycling old drawers and making necklace racks. Yesterday we took a trip to the 'Rebuilding Center' on Mississippi (http://rebuildingcenter.org/) where we found old drawers for $2 each. I spent today painting the drawer to contrast our jewelry and hammering nails into the wood. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I think it will make our jewelry stand out while also making room for more items on our table.

I've also started leather cut out earrings. I took a leather feather earring example that I had bought from an old student of mine and made my own out of some recycled leather my friend brought over one night. With a good pair of fabric scissors and some beads, I came up with some very nice designs that are easy to make and make a great accessory. I picked up some more scrap leather pieces from 'Scrap' yesterday too! I think about 50% of my favorite craft supplies come from 'Scrap'. What most consider junk is a wonderland to artists. :)

*Also note the hilarious dinosaur earrings I made from some plastic figurines at 'Kids at Heart' on Hawthorne Blvd.

No comments:

Post a Comment